Monday, August 3, 2009

Escape from Marichyasana D

I started binding in Marichyasana D last week, but I can only do it with help from E, my teacher. I didn't practice Sunday because I was away on a little beach vacation, so I was a little stiff this morning. I got into position while he was spotting someone else and was able to twist but not bind.

As I'm coming out of the modified asana, I see E walking to my mat with this look on his face.

Me: You don't have to look so threatening.
E: That's not threatening. That's, "There is no escape." Okay... maybe it's a little threatening.

Then he made me do it again.

The weirdest thing about the Marichyasana D spot is that it's like, "Hey! Let's get into make out position!" You grab my arm, and I'll grab your elbow. You put one leg around my hip and the other over my leg. Then reach around and hold my hand until I can clasp my own...

Doesn't it sound like there should be some smooching somewhere in there?

But there isn't. And it's weird because it's both physical and intimate without being erotic at all. Or, at least, it's not erotic to me, and E is even a looker. I guess -- since I've never really played any sports -- that I'm not usually in a position like that (physical, intimate, NOT erotic). Usually, it's all three or none of the above. But maybe this points toward a good thing: that my focus during my practice is well-placed.

No comments:

Post a Comment